When to Install a New Air Conditioning System at Your Home
Most customers will and should wait for their unit to be terminal before replacing it with a new system. However, there are several advantages to upgrading your system proactively, and these decisions should be made on a case-by-case basis.
As technology advances, our cars, computers, and air conditioning units advance as well. The energy efficiency of an air conditioning unit is determined by the SEER rating of the unit. The higher the SEER rating, the better, and newer models boast the biggest improvements in energy efficiency.
Lower Maintenance Cost
As air conditioning units age, they require more and more maintenance. It is costly and time consuming to have a qualified technician come to repeatedly service your unit. If maintenance fees are getting too high, it may be time for a new unit.
Less Environmental Impact
Freon is used as a main component to help your air conditioning unit cool. When Freon leaks, it releases components that deplete the ozone. Freon leaks are bad for the environment and your health, and they should only be handled by a certified technician.
What System Is Right for You?
Most homes in the Coachella Valley should use either package or central units, but sometimes a window unit or ductless mini split is appropriate.
- Central Unit: These cost efficient air conditioning units are normally located on the side of a building and distribute the cooled air through a series of ducts.
- Package Unit: These are similar to the Central units, but the ductwork is normally exposed on the roof of the building.
- Window Unit: If you have a small space to cool, a window unit may be right for you. These units are small, affordable, and plug right into an outlet.
- Ductless Mini-Split: DMS is a good option when ducts are not available for your home. This system is sleek, energy efficient, and offers independent control.
Thermostat Options Available
- Digital Thermostats offer higher temperature accuracy than manual thermostats.
- WiFi Thermostats allow you to adjust temperature from anywhere with an internet connection or data plan.
- Smart Thermostats such as Honeywell Pro 9000 and Nest learn your daily schedule and adjust accordingly.